Home

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Travel with Top Models

People close to me can tell that I'm an ANTM walking-dictionary.  I've been a huge fan of the show for, I think 6 years now and I've watched each and every episode more than twice.  Ironic because I'm not a fashion-forward girl nor a model-wanna-be.  Well, it's a very good form of entertainment.  When you put all the beautiful girls with different ethnicities, boosting confidence, and unpredictable personalities in one house, all wanting to win a $100,000 modeling contract...you'll sure get a powerful TV show.  At first, I thought that's all what I'll get.

At about two-thirds of the way through the season, contestants  get a free international trip since models are expected to work abroad and be booked by international fashion designers.  Little did I know, I'm traveling with them too.  Here are some of the fascinating things featured in this reality-TV show.

Tokyo, Japan (Season 3)
Tokyo Street Fashion
I watched anime as a child and have seen their cute fashionable outfit.  But to see real people in this trend on walking on the street, it's as if I'm in a big costume party.. it wouldn't cross my mind that this is serious fashion in Tokyo... but it works!  Some models find it ridiculous but for me, the layering, school girl look with much vibrant and color coordination is just amazing.

Bangkok & Phuket, Thailand (Season 6)

The Tuk-tuk
Models are expecting a fully air-conditioned car or cab to transport them for their "go-see" challenge .  But to their surprise, an open-ended, three-wheeler motor vehicle tuk-tuk is waiting for them to travel around the city of Bangkok.  But seriously, this is a Thai Taxi!  It is named "tuk-tuk" because of the sound of their engine.   It is quite similar to our tricycle but what's cool is you can sit comfortably at the backseat and have a great view of the road (and exposed to high pollutions too : )

 Floating Market
Thailand's floating market are among the most-photographed destinations in the country.  This is where the sellers, their boats laden with a wide variety of tropical fruits, flowers, vegetables and fresh produce, come to meet and barter their products with other traders.  And ANTM is obviously interested to capture this traditional market as they did their photo shoot here which models were given an assignment to pose hanging upside down from nets as a mermaid.  With nowadays modern supermarkets and department store, I would definitely love to buy stuffs here and use boat as my cart!

Amsterdam, Holland (Season 11)

Red-Light District
The main tourist attraction of Amsterdam is not only its beautiful canals and architecture but also their famous red-light district. Red-light district is a part of an urban area where prostitution and sex-oriented businesses are LEGAL!  Women display and parade their wares right at the red-lit window and men can "shop" prostitutes.  I never imagined that this kind of world exist.  The girls of ANTM took over part of red-light district and pose much like prostitutes do, good thing, the purpose is to sell Dutch designers' dresses.

 Oh, and I love Dutch' wooden shoes.

And their windmill!


Auckland, New Zealand (Season 14)
Hobitton
To ladies delight, they arrive at the well-known village Hobitton which is the actual filming location of Lord of the Ring for a short photo shoot challenge. This beautiful little houses surrounded by amazing nature were located in Matamata in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment